This year, as a family, we made a goal to read the Book of Mormon every day and try to get through the entire thing. Since January 2nd (our 'official' start date) we have not missed a single night.
Mat and I have been married almost 10 years and we have never been able to keep at it and actually read together every single day. To do it as a family, with the girls participating and eagerly waiting for Daddy to get home from school at night so we can read together, has been amazing. It hasn't been easy, sometimes I wonder if it is really worth it on certain days! At first, Emma could care less and would be cray and want to play instead of read. Sometimes we only read a few verses. But the fact that we have gone 2+ months without missing is a small little miracle for our family! Now Emma sits still (for the most part) and reads when it is her turn. Kat asks questions and we try to answer her ways that make sense. Mat and I have felt the Spirit enter our home in a way that only the scriptures can do.
Does this mean that there is peace and love in our home at all times? Heck no! The girls still fight like cats and dogs and I still lose my temper. I am hopeful that the peace will come - eventually!
Yesterday we got to page 100! It is a little victory and I thought we should celebrate as a family. So today Mat and I took the girls to see "Tangled" at the dollar theater. We had fun as a family and the girls knew it was because we had all kept at it and supported each other in our family goal.
I don't know if we will actually get through the entire Book of Mormon by the end of the year (at our pace right now it seems unlikely). However, it doesn't matter. We will keep going until we do finish the Book of Mormon. I also don't know if we will keep our streak of not missing any days as a family reading together. But again, I don't think that is the big issue. We are learning together to love the scriptures and it is making our family stronger in the Gospel.

No comments:
Post a Comment