WARNING! Extremely long post!
You have been warned!
I want to get the story of Lucy's birth down before I forget all the little details (like I could forget!) I really wish I had a blog around when the other girls were born, but I did have scrapbooks for them, so I guess it all evens out!
It hasn't even been a week since this whole adventure started, but it feels like months!
Mat and I went to the hospital on Friday night, June 3rd, to be admitted and started on the induction process for our little one. We got there at 7:30p and by 8:00p we were in my room and my IV had been started. It took 3 tries for the IV and it ended up on my right hand, so I was a little annoyed with that. Then they checked me - I was still at about a 1 - and started me on the med to help my cervix dilate and thin out the membranes. They hooked me up to all the monitors for the baby and heartbeat. Then they told me to rest up for the morning. Easier said than done! The baby didn't want to sit still, so every few minutes the nurse had to come in and move the monitor and readjust everything. Needless to say, between all the beeping of the monitors and machines and the nurses coming in, Mat and I did not sleep much! I have never been so happy to see the sun come up and have it be 5am! I knew at least we could get things going and not try to just force myself to sleep.
My nurse had told me that the medicine had to work for 12 hours, so at about 8 am I would be ready to have a light breakfast and then move onto the Pitocin. However, 9am rolls around and no nurse to be seen. The shift change is at 7, and I had seen my new nurse once and he was in for about 2 min. to get the low down on what was going on. Apparently, I chose a very busy weekend to have a baby. The same day Lucy was born there were 11 other babies born! So, my nurse was busy helping other ladies deliver and I was on my own until they had a chance to get to me! :)
On a side note - I was not very excited about having a male nurse. I am not sexist, but come on! I didn't want some guy up in all my business all day! Plus, he was a big black dude. Again, I am not racist, but I was a little uncomfortable at first. He turned out to be a great nurse and I had no problems with him, except at first! :)
Finally, at about 9am, my nurse comes in and says he is going to start the Pitocin. So he hooks it up to my IV and then I ask if I can have something to eat so I am not completely famished by the end of the day. He tells me it is too late because he already started the Pit! I was super annoyed! Then he checks me to see where I am at. Most.Painful.Check.Ever!!! Remember, this is a big black guy with a lot of strength trying to find my cervix. Oh my gosh, I thought I was going to pass out. I was holding onto the bed for dear life, trying not to pass out. I am still at a 1. :( I was in a little pain. It wasn't horrible, but I was getting more and more uncomfortable. My first nurse had told me before she left, that I could have a pain med in my IV. The problem with this med was the first dose was great, the second - not as strong, and the the third - less powerful. Basically, I could only have the 3 doses and then after that 3 hours I would be back to being in pain, unless I got my epidural. However, I couldn't have my epidural until I was at least a 4, so I was afraid there would be a block of time that I would be in complete agony and not dilating. I decided to hold off and see if I could dilate a little more first.
By this time, 9:30am, my mom and dad had made their way up to the hospital with the girls. I knew it was going to be a long day for them, because they didn't understand that things were just barely starting. To the girls, I had already been at the hospital all night and should have a baby in my arms! While the girls were there I was starting to have pretty good contractions. My dad decided to take them to the park and to lunch to occupy them for a while. They were really excited but we still didn't know how long it was going to be.
Around noon my dr stopped by to see how things were progressing. When she checked me I was completely thinned and finally starting to dilate. I think at this point I was about a 3-4. My dr decided to break my water and see if that would help things get going. I was in a lot of pain by now and hoped that I would be able to get an epidural quickly. My dad and the girls had come back to see how things were going, but I was in so much pain! I didn't want them to see their mom in so much pain. I couldn't even look at them or talk to them because the contractions were coming so strong and so close. They weren't there for very long before I told them that they should go. I was at a 6 and by this time I was begging for an epidural, and luckily, the anesthesiologist was close by because of all the other ladies in labor. The contractions hurt so bad and I knew it would hurt to get the epidural, but I also knew that I would have some relief. Mat went out of the room (he has a thing with needles) and I think he went out ot the waiting room with the girls. My mom stayed with me, but my big black nurse held my shoulders and helped me get through the pain of the epidural. (See, I told you that he grew on me by the time I had the baby!)
Finally, I felt like I had some relief and would be able to get a little rest. Everything kind of turned into a whirlwind at this point, though. I was completely exhausted after an hour of super painful contractions, having my water broke, and getting an epidural. My nurse, however, was concerned that the baby was still really high. My dr was on her way back to the hospital and my nurse said if something didn't happen and happen quickly, that I would probably just have to have a C-section. That made me nervous, but I already had that thought in my head from knowing this baby wasn't going to drop! My dr got there about 15 minutes later and wanted me to start pushing. I was so tired, but knew we needed to try. I pushed for a good half hour and not a lot happened. My dr could feel the baby's head but she was still high up. Then the baby's heart rate started acting up. They turned off the Pit and my nurse snuck up on me with a shot to stop the contractions altogether. I thought he was going to put the med in my IV like everything else, but then - WAM - he shot me in the arm! It hurt like a dickens and I told him it was a jerky thing to do! He thought it was pretty funny! I didn't!
Another round of pushing and pushing for almost an hour. I was spent. I could barely hold my head up and I was shaking. Nothing much was happening. My dr suggested that it might be best to go ahead with the C-section. It all happened so quickly, and I know we had to do it. I was glad that I had the chance to push and that my dr let me try and really hoped that we could do it that way. But in the end, Mat and I both knew that we needed to do what was best for the baby and that was the C-section. Within about 10 minutes, they had me all ready to take to surgery and Mat was in scrubs. They wheeled me away. I have never been so nervous in all my life. I have never had any kind of surgery, stitches, broken bones, nothing. The closest thing would be when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was so scared!
They got me in the OR and went to work setting everything up. It was crazy how fast it all went. They were like busy bees all around me. It made me a little dizzy. No one really told me what was going to happen - which I wish they would have. They didn't even really tell me when they were going to start. Mat was there all of the sudden and then I knew it was time. I have never felt anything like this and hope to never feel it again. My epidural was perfect - for a Vaginal Birth. I could feel the dr's hand and I could feel the contractions coming and when to push. I could still feel. This is not what you want when having a C-section! I could feel them pushing and pulling and yanking things out. It felt like my insides were being blended up and then pushed back inside me. I am surprised I didn't pass out. I was shaking - probably in shock. I don't know why the anesthesiologist didn't notice my distress. He was somewhere up by my head and I know he would have seen how uncomfortable I was. I had prepared myself for pressure and some uncomfortableness, but this was beyond that! I have seen enough baby shows on TLC to know I felt more than I should have!
Through all the pain, I heard my baby's cry. It was beautiful. I knew she was ok. I tried to focus on her instead of the pain that was still going on below. It only worked a little, but by this time I was shaking so bad, I just wanted it to be over. Mat did a little play by play for me over at the baby. She got an 8/9 on her Apgar score and looked healthy and happy. One of the nurses brought her over and Mat snapped a pic of my baby with me. I was so relieved it was over. Mat left with the baby to get her finished cleaned up and weighed and all that stuff. Finally, I was done. My nurse wheeled me away to the Triage room for recovery. I was kind of out of it and didn't know what was happening. I wanted to see my baby. My nurse told me to rest and try to sleep. I was there for about an hour. Then I heard some glorious voices in the hallway! It was Emma and Kat with my parents. My mom and dad came in one at a time to see how I was doing. I told them how awful it was but that it was finally over!
Eventually, my baby was brought to me and we all went to our room. The girls were so excited to see their new sister. I was so happy that she was here and healthy. Mat was glad that all his girls were together and everything was ok. We still don't know why our little one didn't want to come out. The dr was afraid that the chord was wrapped around her neck or some other distress, but there wasn't any of that. We will never know why our little angel didn't want to make life easy for us!
So, that is the story of how our little Lucy Dawn came to us on June 4, at 4:04pm weighing 7lbs, 12 oz. and 20 inches long.
Somehow, over the past couple of days, the pain I went through has lessened in my mind. Trying to remember all the details was harder than I thought even though, at the time, it seemed like I would never recover. Don't get me wrong, I am still in a lot of pain and I have to make myself remember to take it really easy. It is a lot different than my other two deliveries, both of which seems so simple and easy compared! But when I look at my beautiful new miracle, it seems worth it. Strange, but being a mother is a blessing and worth all the pain that it takes. I may slowly forget the pains and agonies of her delivery, but I won't forget the beautiful miracle and honor I have to be her mother.
Around noon my dr stopped by to see how things were progressing. When she checked me I was completely thinned and finally starting to dilate. I think at this point I was about a 3-4. My dr decided to break my water and see if that would help things get going. I was in a lot of pain by now and hoped that I would be able to get an epidural quickly. My dad and the girls had come back to see how things were going, but I was in so much pain! I didn't want them to see their mom in so much pain. I couldn't even look at them or talk to them because the contractions were coming so strong and so close. They weren't there for very long before I told them that they should go. I was at a 6 and by this time I was begging for an epidural, and luckily, the anesthesiologist was close by because of all the other ladies in labor. The contractions hurt so bad and I knew it would hurt to get the epidural, but I also knew that I would have some relief. Mat went out of the room (he has a thing with needles) and I think he went out ot the waiting room with the girls. My mom stayed with me, but my big black nurse held my shoulders and helped me get through the pain of the epidural. (See, I told you that he grew on me by the time I had the baby!)
Finally, I felt like I had some relief and would be able to get a little rest. Everything kind of turned into a whirlwind at this point, though. I was completely exhausted after an hour of super painful contractions, having my water broke, and getting an epidural. My nurse, however, was concerned that the baby was still really high. My dr was on her way back to the hospital and my nurse said if something didn't happen and happen quickly, that I would probably just have to have a C-section. That made me nervous, but I already had that thought in my head from knowing this baby wasn't going to drop! My dr got there about 15 minutes later and wanted me to start pushing. I was so tired, but knew we needed to try. I pushed for a good half hour and not a lot happened. My dr could feel the baby's head but she was still high up. Then the baby's heart rate started acting up. They turned off the Pit and my nurse snuck up on me with a shot to stop the contractions altogether. I thought he was going to put the med in my IV like everything else, but then - WAM - he shot me in the arm! It hurt like a dickens and I told him it was a jerky thing to do! He thought it was pretty funny! I didn't!
Another round of pushing and pushing for almost an hour. I was spent. I could barely hold my head up and I was shaking. Nothing much was happening. My dr suggested that it might be best to go ahead with the C-section. It all happened so quickly, and I know we had to do it. I was glad that I had the chance to push and that my dr let me try and really hoped that we could do it that way. But in the end, Mat and I both knew that we needed to do what was best for the baby and that was the C-section. Within about 10 minutes, they had me all ready to take to surgery and Mat was in scrubs. They wheeled me away. I have never been so nervous in all my life. I have never had any kind of surgery, stitches, broken bones, nothing. The closest thing would be when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was so scared!
They got me in the OR and went to work setting everything up. It was crazy how fast it all went. They were like busy bees all around me. It made me a little dizzy. No one really told me what was going to happen - which I wish they would have. They didn't even really tell me when they were going to start. Mat was there all of the sudden and then I knew it was time. I have never felt anything like this and hope to never feel it again. My epidural was perfect - for a Vaginal Birth. I could feel the dr's hand and I could feel the contractions coming and when to push. I could still feel. This is not what you want when having a C-section! I could feel them pushing and pulling and yanking things out. It felt like my insides were being blended up and then pushed back inside me. I am surprised I didn't pass out. I was shaking - probably in shock. I don't know why the anesthesiologist didn't notice my distress. He was somewhere up by my head and I know he would have seen how uncomfortable I was. I had prepared myself for pressure and some uncomfortableness, but this was beyond that! I have seen enough baby shows on TLC to know I felt more than I should have!
Through all the pain, I heard my baby's cry. It was beautiful. I knew she was ok. I tried to focus on her instead of the pain that was still going on below. It only worked a little, but by this time I was shaking so bad, I just wanted it to be over. Mat did a little play by play for me over at the baby. She got an 8/9 on her Apgar score and looked healthy and happy. One of the nurses brought her over and Mat snapped a pic of my baby with me. I was so relieved it was over. Mat left with the baby to get her finished cleaned up and weighed and all that stuff. Finally, I was done. My nurse wheeled me away to the Triage room for recovery. I was kind of out of it and didn't know what was happening. I wanted to see my baby. My nurse told me to rest and try to sleep. I was there for about an hour. Then I heard some glorious voices in the hallway! It was Emma and Kat with my parents. My mom and dad came in one at a time to see how I was doing. I told them how awful it was but that it was finally over!
Eventually, my baby was brought to me and we all went to our room. The girls were so excited to see their new sister. I was so happy that she was here and healthy. Mat was glad that all his girls were together and everything was ok. We still don't know why our little one didn't want to come out. The dr was afraid that the chord was wrapped around her neck or some other distress, but there wasn't any of that. We will never know why our little angel didn't want to make life easy for us!
So, that is the story of how our little Lucy Dawn came to us on June 4, at 4:04pm weighing 7lbs, 12 oz. and 20 inches long.
Somehow, over the past couple of days, the pain I went through has lessened in my mind. Trying to remember all the details was harder than I thought even though, at the time, it seemed like I would never recover. Don't get me wrong, I am still in a lot of pain and I have to make myself remember to take it really easy. It is a lot different than my other two deliveries, both of which seems so simple and easy compared! But when I look at my beautiful new miracle, it seems worth it. Strange, but being a mother is a blessing and worth all the pain that it takes. I may slowly forget the pains and agonies of her delivery, but I won't forget the beautiful miracle and honor I have to be her mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment